Voters are not permitted to use phones inside voting booths in 2023 elections, according to INEC
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) insists that voters are not allowed to bring mobile phones into the voting booth before the next general elections.
At the first briefing on Thursday, Mahmood Yakubu, the chairman of INEC, mentioned this while expressing alarm about vote buying.
Yet he said that he believes the vices will be addressed.
He noted that the sensitive materials are currently being sent to local government regions, noting that all items have been handed to the states. Non-sensitive items, he claimed, had been used for two months.
The INEC Chairman reaffirmed that there are no voters in 240 polling places and added that the personnel who would be used in the polls have received training.
Yakubu also said during the briefing that 87 million Permanent Voter Cards (PVCs) had already been gathered in preparation for the upcoming general elections.
He indicated that the Commission will continue to use technology to clean up the voter list even though it currently comprises over 94 million people.
The INEC chairman also disclosed that 1,642,385 polling places and collation centers will have representatives from political parties voting.
The Commission has fully recovered from the recent attacks on her facilities in various states, he also revealed.
The purpose of the daily briefing, in Yakubu’s words, is to keep stakeholders informed as events leading up to and during the election develop.